TYPE OF FUND: Designated DATE ESTABLISHED: 1992
PURPOSE: Upkeep of Parsons City Cemetery, the River City and Mill Race Parks of Parsons and Five Rivers Public Library of Parsons.
DISTRIBUTION: Upon the advice of Parsons City Council, the recommendation of the Grants Committee, and approval by the Board of Directors of TCF.
VARIANCE POWER: If, in the judgment of the TCF Board of Directors, the restrictions and conditions of the fund become unnecessary, incapable of fulfillment or inconsistent with the charitable needs of the community, the TCF Board of Directors maintains the right to modify the terms of this fund.
FUNDING: An initial donation of $25,000 and the remaining from her estate bequest.
BACKGROUND: Mrs. Harman was born May 7, 1905, a daughter of the late William H. and Valeria Frances Browning Poffenbarger. Mrs. Poffenbarger owned and operated the Commercial Hotel on Main Street in Parsons. Mrs. Harman was the fourth of nine children: Minnea P. Hinton, Maude P. Brinegar, Harry, Rufus and Homer Poffenbarger, Louise Harman, and John, Wade, and Robert E. Lee Poffenbarger.
She was a 1924 graduate of Parsons High School. She married William M. Harman on July 9, 1924. The couple had no children. She was a homemaker, a member of First United Methodist Church of Parsons and the River City Garden Club.
(See William Mahan Harman Memorial Fund)