TYPE OF FUND: Field of Interest
DATE ESTABLISHED: Initiated December 26, 1996 Established June 22, 2000.
PURPOSE: To support Tucker County community based youth organizations with strong consideration given to 4-H leadership programs and/or youth equestrian activities.
DISTRIBUTION: Upon the recommendation by the Grants Committee and approval by the full Board of Directors of TCF.
VARIANCE POWER: If, in the judgment of the TCF Board of Directors, the restrictions and conditions of the fund become unnecessary, incapable of fulfillment or inconsistent with the charitable needs of the community, the TCF Board of Directors maintains the right to modify the terms of this fund.
FUNDING: Funds to establish the Falling Green Fund were provided by Scott and Diane Hinkle in honor of her parents, LaVerna and Richard T. White, Sr. of Mt. Airy Maryland. Richard T. White, Sr. passed away in 2006, but prior to his death he made a $100,000.00 donation, becoming the Foundation’s first “Ambassador”. Upon his death, a large number of memorial donations were made by family and friends.
BACKGROUND: Richard and LaVerna White are well known in their community for their active involvement and support of community based youth organizations. Having reared five children of their own, Mr. and Mrs. White had an appreciation of the positive impact made by youth organizations such as 4-H, athletic clubs, and church groups.
Farming was the hub of the White family activities. The home place (Falling Green Farm) was the site of many large gatherings that included swimming, fishing, picnics and horseback riding. Guests included inner-city children, IFYE (International Foundation for Youth Exchange) students, Boy Scout troops, Little league teams, and local and out of state 4-H members.
Richard White was a native of Montgomery County, MD having been born and raised in Laytonsville. He started farming right out of high school and managed a very successful sweet corn business until the late 1950’s when the family moved to Carroll County, MD. There he operated a very successful sod business and he continued to pursue real estate ventures as an independent licensed realtor. He owned and/or operated over 25 farms in Montgomery, Howard, and Carroll counties. When he retired from farming, he continued to be involved as a board member and advisor for Farmers & Mechanics Bank. His friends and family credit him with being the inspiration and the backing for many of their business ventures. He was known to be a shrewd businessman and a generous friend to many. He died at home on October 22, 2006.
LaVerna White still resides in Mt. Airy and remains very active in the community and especially in the Calvary United Methodist Church of Mt. Airy.
The name Falling Green originated with the Brooke Farm in Olney, MD, one of the first farms purchased by the Whites in 1949. To this day, it remains a historic Montgomery County landmark.